Take the Guesswork Out of Digital Advertising with Audience Targeting Solutions
October 27, 2016 - Brooke Thompson
In today’s fast-paced digital world, consumers are inundated with media competing for their attention. Grabbing that attention is becoming even more challenging since the average attention span has shrunk to just eight seconds.
Therefore, in addition to producing messaging that is valuable and relevant to their audience, marketers must find a way to distribute it effectively. Enter location-based advertising.
What is Location-Based Advertising?
Location-based advertising (LBA) is a powerful, cost-effective way to grow your sales revenues through targeted lead generation. LBA integrates mobile advertising with location-based services. GPS technology is used to pinpoint prospects geographically and serve location-specific advertisements to their mobile devices. Geo-Fencing, Geo-Retargeting, Retargeting and IP Targeting are the most widely used LBA tactics. Let’s take a closer look at each one.
Based on where a consumer is in real time, virtual fences are drawn around a predetermined location or business. Call to action ads are served to a consumer’s mobile device if they are within the radial fence.
Ads are delivered to consumers who meet specific criteria, such as demographics, interests, or behavior. For example, it could include frequently visiting specific locations in the past and those who have shopped your local competitors.
Also known as remarketing, retargeting is a form of digital advertising that keeps your brand in front of visitors after they leave your website. Since only 2% of visitors convert on their first visit, retargeting is designed to bring the other 98% back. Lost visitors are tagged with a cookie, located on social media and other websites and presented with retargeting ads as they browse the web.
Often referred to as the Direct Mail for the Internet, IP targeting brings the location specific accuracy of direct mail to digital advertising. The process delivers targeted digital ads to customers by matching their IP address with their physical address, bringing a wide variety of banner and display ads to sites they visit.
Which LBA Should You Choose?
All four forms of LBA are valuable options to have in your marketing toolbox. Determining which one to use and when depends on your target audience and the goals of your campaign.
If you are looking to blanket a geographic area covering all ages and interests then geo-fencing is the way to go. On the other hand, if you want to reach a specific target audience within a specific location, geo-targeting is the perfect choice. Retargeting boosts your brand awareness and brings your past website visitors back to you to finish the conversion process. And IP Targeting creates an effective lead generation pipeline that also enhances the results of other marketing efforts when paired together. Our always connected, mobile lifestyles have changed how and when consumers receive and consume information. Capturing their attention when and where it is most relevant and useful is key. Therefore, LBA should be a part of every marketer’s strategy.
Ready to Get Started with Audience Targeting?
AMG can help! Take the guesswork out of your digital advertising with audience targeting solutions designed to pinpoint in-market buyers, steer traffic and drive sales. Our location-based advertising services will deliver exceptional results.