Time is Your Most Valuable Asset – Are You Using it Wisely?
October 8, 2015 - Brooke Thompson
Benjamin Franklin famously said, Time is Money! No matter how it is measured, seconds, minutes, hours or days it all passes at the same speed. Therefore, making the most of it is critical to your success.
In business today, there never seems to be enough hours in the day to get everything done. Your time – rather how you spend it – has a direct impact on the bottom line.
Outsourcing can appear to be a costly alternative to doing things yourself. However, you must evaluate the overall return on your investment. Are you missing opportunities because your time is spent on the wrong tasks? Are there other things you could and/or should be doing that are a better use of your time? How much is your time worth? The key to using your time wisely is to focus on what you do best and outsource the rest. Let’s take a look at how this applies to direct mail.
EDDM – Do it Yourself Direct Mail or Not?
In 2011, the USPS introduced Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) as a simple do it yourself direct mail solution. But, is it? We’ll get to that in a moment, but first let’s take a look at exactly what EDDM is. The USPS defines EDDM as “an easy, cost-effective way to reach potential customers near your business. Just create your mail pieces however you like, then select postal routes and pay for postage online. Next, bring your mailing to your local Post Office™ for delivery to every household on your chosen routes.”
Simple, right? Ok, maybe it isn’t rocket science, but there is a bit more that goes into each step. And, most importantly each step requires TIME. As we discussed above, time is your most valuable asset. Use it wisely! Initially, it may seem like doing it yourself is the “best” way to go since it appears to be less expensive. However, in the long run it may actually be more expensive when you consider the cost of your time. Spending a bit more up front will result in larger returns when you spend your time growing your business, instead of managing a direct mail campaign.
Finding the right EDDM partner can help you make the most of your time. How? A professional direct marketing company can manage all aspects of the project for you from start to finish including:
- Printing – Mailing services print very large quantities, which means that your costs per piece will be less than you doing it by yourself through a printing service.
- Postage – Mailing services have excellent postage software that will calculate the lowest price available, and are able to give you savings based on the work they do for the USPS.
- Design –Our professional direct mail marketing designers know how to write content that produces exceptionally high response rates.
- Delivery – They will do all the leg work, saving you time and money. Mailhouses can work with you to strategically drop your mail to enhance the success of your campaign.
- Turn Around Time – Mailing services have all the necessary equipment to print, address, and process your project much faster than you can ever do it yourself.
- Lists – 60% of your direct mail campaigns success is due to targeting the right prospects. Mailhouses know how to target your in-market buyers. Not everyone in a zip code is buyer and EDDM does not allow for filtering.
It is often said, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. This is a great piece of advice for business owners to follow. When considering which tasks to spend your time and money on, be sure to include the value of your time in the total cost.
The Right Partner
Are you ready to use your time wisely? AMG partners with companies like yours to provide solutions that are in your best interest and deliver an incredible return on your marketing investment. Contact us today for help with your next EDDM or other direct marketing campaigns.